Lompoc Adult School and Career Center Winter 2022 Newsletter
Every Student Able to Achieve Life Goals
Summer and Fall Registration are Under Construction
There are three ways for students to register for classes at LASCC.
Make an appointment with the office staff to register in person.
Call and get help registering over the phone.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Use our online registration link at our website: www.lusd.org/las
Too busy for school now? Use our Start Anytime plan. LASCC offers ongoing enrollment so you can register any time throughout the school year.
Here is a list of our most popular programs that you can register for NOW:
High School Diploma
English as a Second Language (Beginning, Intermediate, Advanced)
Two Surveys Needed from Students
Please help Lompoc Adult School collect information that is needed for our school's funding.
We have two surveys that we are required to have all students complete. Please complete them as soon as you can.
Both surveys are available in English and in Spanish.
LASCC Classes Offered Remote
Lompoc Adult School classes are all being offered remotely, with students joining teachers and other students through Zoom.
Many students have shared that they feel Zoom classes allow students more freedom with their busy lives. Students also felt less hurried with the responsibilities of work, family and children.
With LASCC’s Zoom classes, you can join instructors and other students from the comfort of your home.
Students who need to meet one-on-one with instructors can choose from convenient times throughout the week and schedule their own appointments online.
Winter 2022 Semester Begins January 10, 2022
New students can register now, online or call our school for assistance at 805-742-3100.
Here are 9 tips to help new and returning students achieve success:
Register early before classes fill up.
Write down your user name and password for your student account.
Use a calendar to remind you of important dates such as class orientation.
Arrive 10 minutes early to your Zoom classes, orientations, and teacher meetings just in case you have technical difficulties.
Meet with your teacher each week even if it is only for 5 or 10 minutes. Why? Because this is what successful students do. They talk regularly with the teacher, get help, and get ongoing support.
Plan your study time schedule each week to be sure that you have dedicated time to do your work.
Set realistic goals for getting your school work done. LASCC staff will help you with this!
Check your progress each week just for a few minutes to see if you are on track.
Reward yourself for making progress. Everyone needs some recognition for doing well. Simple things like a hike, a movie, or time with a favorite friend can all be effective rewards.
Computer Basics Students Transitioning to Microsoft Office
Students completing Lompoc Adult School’s free Computer Basics class are moving up to our free Microsoft Office class.
- The free Microsoft Office class offers students free industry certification on Microsoft Office skills.
- These certifications can be used on a resume and in job interviews.
- Microsoft Office skills are the most in-demand skills of employers today.
LASCC offers the Isograd Tosa certification for students completing Microsoft Office. LASCC pays the certification fee for all students.
2022 Graduation Plans
Lompoc Adult School is planning its third Drive-Through Graduation Ceremony to be held June 6, 2022, at 5 p.m.
- High School Diploma students will be contacted to register and to pick up a cap and gown for the event.
- Professional quality photography appointments will be offered free to all graduating students. Students will be emailed the digital images to keep and use for free.
- Families and friends are welcome to attend the graduation. Multiple vehicles are allowed.
- At the graduation, students will exit their cars to walk and receive their diplomas and will be able to pose under the balloon arch with friends and families for photographs.
Paraeducator (Teacher Assistant) Program
Our free Paraeducator program continues to graduate students throughout the year as they get hired to work for local school districts.
Through our program, students earn certifications and learn the skills to be a classroom assistant. Students also prepare for job interviews and get help applying for local jobs.
- Working as a Paraeducator means assisting in K-12 classrooms.
- Paraeducators apply for positions working in specific settings such as: Special Needs, Bilingual, and General Education.
- Paraeducators earn about $30,000 per year and enjoy a work schedule that is the same as student schedules, with the same breaks and vacations throughout the year.
- Some Paraeducators decide to become teachers where they can earn from $47,000 to $80,000 per year.
- Our program helps students understand and map out the pathway to becoming a teacher.
- The program is self-paced, so students can complete it as fast as they would like. Instructor Krista Caniano holds regular office hours so that students can join her to get help as needed.
Interested in this program? Join Ms. Caniano at an upcoming orientation to meet her and learn if a career as a Paraeducator is right for you.
Citizenship Classes Thursday Evenings with Lawrence Basoco
Becoming a U.S. citizen is a very important decision. When you become a citizen, you will receive all the rights of citizenship. You also accept all of the responsibilities of being an American.
- The path to becoming a U.S. citizen can be complicated, but the Citizenship Program is here to support you as you navigate the application process.
- Each year, our program helps students become citizens.
- The program offers exam and interview preparation training to help you prepare throughout the application process.
We’re with you every step of the way, providing classes to prepare you for the naturalization interview and test as well as classes for English as a Second Language (ESL).
Phlebotomy Certification Program
Our first Phlebotomy Certification Program just concluded on November 6. The class was eight weeks long. Students had to earn a 75% in order to pass the class.
- Reading/test-taking skills, and medical terminology knowledge are essential for students to pass this class and its many quizzes/tests.
- Graduates of this class are now preparing to take the California state exam to earn their licenses as Phlebotomists.
- Next, students will work a 40-hour internship at Lompoc Hospital where they will get practical experience as Phlebotomists.
- Our next Phlebotomy course is scheduled for February 2022. Interested students must have a diploma or GED. Also, they must complete two online preparation classes that LASCC offers for free: Medical Terminology and Literacy for Medical Professionals.
- The cost of the Phlebotomy course is $1,850, and scholarship assistance may be available through CalWorks and the Workforce Development Center/America’s Job Center.
Contact the LASCC office for more information 805-742-3100 or email email@example.com
Mental Health Series Offered in Morning and Evening ESL Classes
Morning and Evening ESL students are completing a series focused on mental health thanks to a weekly guest speaker from Guadalupe Community Health.
Participants are learning about and discussing strategies regarding the following mental health topics:
Mental Health topics are presented in Spanish. Anyone 18 or older may attend these presentations. Contact our office at 805-742-3100 for more information.
New ESL Career Pathway for Custodian/ Maintenance Worker Certification
We are working on a new Custodian Training program to offer in the 2022-2023 school year.
- Custodian jobs are in high demand and feature stable pay, independent work schedules, and entry-level job opportunities.
- Average custodian wages in Santa Barbara County are $37,000 per year. Custodian jobs often offer benefits, on-the-job training, and opportunities to advance.
- Schools, medical centers, manufacturing plants, and many other employers hire custodians.
Lompoc Adult School and Career Center
Winter 2022 Newsletter
Every Student Able to Achieve Life Goals