Certified EKG Technician
COURSE: CERTIFIED EKG TECHNICIAN (VOUCHER INCLUDED)
EKG Technician Training
Become a Certified EKG Technician
Electrocardiography (EKG) technicians are vital members of any healthcare team. If you want to join the booming healthcare industry as an EKG tech, this in-depth course will train you to apply, monitor, and measure electrocardiography tests in a flexible, online learning environment. You will also learn key subjects needed to earn a nationally recognized EKG technician certification, such as measuring basic vital signs, performing rapid response procedures, operating an EKG machine, and identifying rhythms. On course completion, you will be prepared to take the Certified EKG Technician (CET), provided by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
This course offers enrollment with a voucher for the Certified EKG Technician (CET) certification exam. The voucher is prepaid access to sit for the certifying exam upon eligibility.
The course also includes an opportunity to participate in an unpaid clinical experience.
Disclaimer: To qualify for the clinical experience application process, students must complete the online course successfully and have account balances up to date (at a minimum). Going through the clinical experience application process does not guarantee a placement. However, affiliated partnerships increase the likelihood of finding a site that matches student needs. COVID may be affecting the capacity of availability in your area. Students can begin researching the steps of the application process two weeks before completing courses.
Job Outlook for Certified EKG Technician
- The US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) forecasts 24% growth in the demand for EKG technicians between now and 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.
- According to the National Healthcareer Association, the median annual salary for EKG technicians is $56,850 with top earners pulling in over $93,000 per year.
- HOW MUCH DOES AN EKG TECHNICIAN MAKE?
- WHAT IS AN EKG TECHNICIAN?
- WHAT DOES AN EKG TECHNICAN DO?
- WHAT CERTIFICATION DOES THIS COURSE PREPARE ME FOR?
- DOES THIS COURSE PREPARE ME FOR A CERTIFICATION?
- WHEN CAN I START THIS COURSE?
- CAN I REGISTER FOR THIS COURSE IF I AM AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT?
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE THIS COURSE?
- WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO COMPLETE THE COURSE IN THE TIME PROVIDED?
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE THIS COURSE?
- WHAT KIND OF SUPPORT WILL I RECEIVE?
- WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I COMPLETE THE COURSE?
- AM I GUARANTEED A JOB?
- CAN I GET FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE?
- HOW CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS COURSE?
What you will learn
- Concepts of cardiac anatomy and physiology, infection control and standard precautions appropriate to the role of an EKG Technician
- Proper machine protocols and maintenance
- Electrocardiography interpretation of various types of EKGs
- Proper communication methods within clinical scenarios
How you will benefit
- You will learn the theoretical knowledge of an EKG Technician
- You will be prepared to take the CET certification from NHA, and will be provided with a voucher at course completion
- Assistance from our externship support team and access to our Clinical Experience Guide
- Medical Terminology
- Introduction to Medical Terminology
- The Musculoskeletal System
- The Cardiovascular System
- The Lymphatic and Immune Systems
- The Respiratory System
- The Digestive System
- The Urinary System
- The Nervous System
- The Special Senses: The Eyes and Ears
- The Integumentary System
- The Endocrine System
- The Reproductive System
- Diagnostic Procedures, Nuclear Medicine, Pharmacology
- EKG Technician
- Introduction: EKG Technician
- Ethics, Compliance, and Communication
- Safety and Patient Care
- Patient Vital Signs
- Electronic Medical Records
- Human Anatomy and Physiology of the Cardiovascular System
- EKG Equipment Settings and Supplies; Maintenance and Disinfection
- Patient Preparation and Positioning
- Lead Placement and Artifacts
- Monitoring Patient Condition, Adverse Reactions, and Emergencies
- Fundamentals of EKG Analysis: EKG Tracing and Waveforms
- Waveform Symmetry, Direction and Amplitude
- EKG Analysis: Heart Rate Calculation
- EKG Analysis: Determining the Heart Rhythm
- Heart Electrical Physiology
- EKG Interpretation: Sinus and Atrial Arrhythmias
- Junctional and Ventricular Arrhythmias, Heart Blocks
- EKG Interpretation: Pacemakers
- EKG Interpretation: Cardiac Emergencies
- The Way Forward: NHA Test Preparation and Career Path
This course can be taken on either a PC, Mac, or Chromebook device.
- PC: Windows 10 or later operating systems.
- Mac: OS X 10.11 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word Online
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Other: Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment.
The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment in the Medical Terminology course:
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions
The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment in the Certified EKG Technician course:
- ECG: Essentials of Electrocardiography, 1st edition by Cathy Soto
Please Note: You will receive a digital book if the physical book is on backorder.
To be eligible for enrollment you should have one of the following: High School Diploma, GED or equivalent, entrance test, or previous healthcare experience.
To qualify for the NHA CET certification, you must have a high school diploma or equivalent, successfully complete the course, and you must provide proof of 10 successfully performed EKGs on live individuals.
This course meets all state requirements.
Registration and Enrollment
This course is open enrollment. You can enroll and begin any time.